Routine processing currently takes 8 to 11 weeks. You also have the option of paying an additional $60 for expedited service. Expedited service takes 5 to 7 weeks. Processing times begin the day the application is received at the passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply for a passport at our local acceptance facility.
In order to obtain a first-time passport, an applicant needs to fill out an Application for a U.S. Passport, Click Here to download the application or Click Here to fill the form online. The applicant may then deliver the application together with a citizenship document, such as a certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate; an identification document, such as a valid driver's license; and a passport photo. Photos can also be taken at the Kling Memorial Library for a fee of $10.00. A passport book is valid for ten years. The cost is $130.00 for an adult plus a $35.00 execution fee.
Also available is a passport card designed for people to use when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. If traveling by airplane, you must have a passport book, but if you are crossing the border by car, you may use the passport card. The fee for just the passport card is $30.00 for an adult and is wallet size.
Please bring the following documents when you apply for your passport:
Applicants over 16 years of age:
- Original birth certificate or certified copy. (Certified copies may be obtained from the County Recorder of the County and State in which you were born) (Not a document from the hospital in which you were born)
- Photocopy of birth certificate
- Driver's license or other form of identification
- Photocopy of front and back of I.D.
- Check or money order (U.S. Dept. of State will not accept credit cards or cash)
- Check, money order, or cash for the administration fee, and photograph (if no legitimate photo is provided)
Minors under age 16:
In addition to the above, except driver's license, the following:
- Both parents must be present or one parent present and one parent having provided a notarized consent
- Drivers' licenses of parents (or copy of front and back if providing a consent)
Photocopying services also available at the library for small fee
You may submit your application for a passport at the Kling Memorial Library Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If you have any questions you can call the library at 319-825-3607, or you may visit Travel.State.Gov for additional passport and international travel information.